How does the Aeries WS Client work?
The webservice has been configured to pull and push specific fields from 3 tables in Aeries, STU, CON and SUP.
- After the initial data transfer to K-12 Online, the WS pushes newly inputted student records in Aeries based on a custom K12 field in the SUP table.
- Any new updates will be PUSHED on the next scheduled time.
- This will just be a one time push and no future updates of student information will take place.
- This will result in less resources being used every time the DTS in the STU table is changed.
- Emergency Contact updates will still work based on the last change in the DTS (Date Time Stamp) of the CON table.
In K-12 Online, student and emergency contact changes need to be UPDATED by admin. Once updated/approved, the PULL fields will then be PULLED on the next scheduled time.
The PULL and PUSH process can be manually done or scheduled. You will need to know the computer's username and password in order to enable the scheduler.
Certain data is validated before it can be pulled into the K-12 Online database.
- Student IDs need to be unique
- The highlighted fields below are required
- Birthday in MM/DD/YYYY format
- Formatting of phone numbers will be stripped when PUSHED and PULLED.
- An emergency contact will only be pushed if it has either a home, work or cell number.
- If you have insurance information, it will
You will need to test the Webservice interface. This interface facilitates the exchange of information between your district Student Information System (SIS) and the K12-Online database.
The following are the fields used to exchange data. To ensure that the data is pushing correctly from Aeries, the highlighted fields are mandatory for each record.
| || || || || |
|STUDENT INFORMATION|| || ||EMERGENCY CONTACT|| || |
| ||Push||Pull|| ||Push||Pull|
|Student ID (ID)||*||*||Student ID (PID)||*||*|
|First Name (FN)||*||*||Record ID / Sequence (SQ)||*||*|
|Last Name (LN)||*||*||First Name (FN)||*||*|
|Grade (GR)||*||*||Last Name (LN)||*||*|
|Family Key (FK)||*|| ||Name (NM)||*||*|
|Gender (SX)||*|| ||Relation (RL)||*||*|
|Birthdate (BD)||*|| ||Phone* (TL)||*||*|
|Teacher Code (CU)||*|| ||Mobile* (CP)||*||*|
|Access Key (VPC)||*|| ||Work* (WP)||*||*|
|Email (SEM)||*||*||Email (EM)||*||*|
|Home Phone (TL)||*||*||Address** (AD)||*||*|
|Mobile Phone (MPH)||*||*||City** (CY)||*||*|
|Residential Address (RAD)||*||*||State** (ST)||*||*|
|Residential City (RCY)||*||*||Zip** (ZC)||*||*|
|Residential State (RST)||*||*||(* one of the 3 required)|| || |
|Residential Zip (RZC)||*||*||(* cannot be edited)|| || |
|Mailing Address (AD)||*||*||(** Only for mother and father not residing at student’s residential address.|| || |
|Mailing City (CY)||*||*|| || || |
|Mailing State (ST)||*||*|| || || |
|Mailing Zip (ZC)||*||*|| || || |
|Status (TG)|| || ||Webservice will only pull students where TG is blank|| || |
How to Configure the Webservice Client?
Configure K-12 Online
- Go to DCP>ADMIN>District Admin Profile.
Please make sure your district code is the 5 digit CDE district code that corresponds in your SIS. If not, please inform us to change it. This will affect the functionality of the webservice.
- Go to the DCP> Schools Manager>Edit
Make sure that the school number there matches your school code in your SIS database. If not, please inform us to change it. This will affect the functionality of the webservice.
- Go to the DCP > ADMIN > District Relation Code
- Check only those boxes that you would want to appear in the dropdown list in the school portal.
- Make sure that the relation names in your SIS appears exactly as the relation names in K-12 Online. You will need to change your SIS relation name to match K-12 Online. ex. Friend = Friend and NOT Family Friend.
- Make sure the “Order” is the rank you would like to see your relations in your SIS. Father at the top, Mother second etc.
- Create a field called "K12" in the SUP table
- Set the Data Type to "smallint"
- Set the default value to "1"
Initial Data Transfer from your SIS
- Please make sure there are no extraneous data such as a “state” that has been automatically assigned . ex. “CA” for empty addresses.
- Emergency Contact Addresses are ONLY for those students’ parents whose addresses are different from the Residential Address. No other emergency contact addresses should be pushed.
- Student Residential Addresses should not be blank. They will appear blank in K-12 Online. You can fill them in through excel.
- Phone numbers should be just 10 digits only. K-12 Online will mask the field for the school portal
- The purple fields above are mandatory fields
- After uploading your student initial records to K-12 Online through the CSV, please change the "K12" field in the SUP table to "0".
Request Webservice Client from K-12 Online
The extracted file will contain these files that you would need to familiarize yourself with.
- Failed Contact Records.xml
- Failed Student Records.xml
- The WSClient.exe will be used to configure the webservice. Please scroll below to see how to Configure the WS Client.
- The Settings.ini file shows the settings of the webservice. The DTS shows the date and time of the last update.
- The Failed Contact Records.xml can be opened with Notepad. This shows all the failed contact records that were not processed.
- The Failed Student Records.wml can be opened with Notepad. This shows all the failed student records that were not processed.
Configuring the WS Client
- Type in your Database Server Name, Database Name, Username, Password
- You will need a WS Username and Password that we will provide for the WS Client
- If you are servicing multiple schools, enter xxxxx-y,xxxxx-y etc. where x is the district code and y is the school number that you checked above with NO spaces in between.
- Enter the District ID that will be given to you by K-12 Online
- Hit Save
Initial Data Download
- It is recommended that the initial data download be done via CSV mapping. This is done at each school’s SCP. There is more control over what data gets pushed and can prevent erroneous data from appearing in the schoolportal
- A simple query is generated and this query can be saved for later use. The fields are mapped in the SCP and the query that needs to be in a CSV (MS DOS) format is then uploaded. Make sure that the Student ID used is the number that relates the Student to the Emergency Contact. See STUDENT MAP FIELDS.
Change the DTS (Date Timestamp) in the WS Client
- Change the "Last PUSH Time Stamp" to match the DTS of the CSV upload.
Make Changes in K-12 Online
- Make changes to information in school portal
- UPDATE the changes in SCP
- Pull the new information using the WSClient
- Upload Changes to your server
- Check your SIS
- In the K12OnlineWSclient, click on "Scheduler"
- Determine when you want the scheduler to run and check the "enabled" box.
- You will be required to type in the Username and Password of the computer in order to set the Windows Scheduler.