In order to use the Aeries API with K-12 Online, a certificate and PW is required to connect the 2 systems and permissions are required to allow fields to be synced.
- Introduction to Aeries API
- Creating an API security key
- Set Permissions in Aeries
- Configuring schools
- Setting up Aeries Fields for Student & Contact Forms
Introduction to Aeries API
Aeries API allows Aeries to connect to K-12 Online through a secure certificate key. Permissions are granted by the District which will determine which tables and fields are able to be viewed, updated and inserted. In order to use the Aeries API with K-12 Online, a certificate and PW is required to connect the 2 systems and permissions are required to allow fields to be synced.
Creating an API security key
Set Permissions in Aeries
- Set the permissions for K-12 Online API by checking off the Student Data and Contacts.
- Click the "View Field Permissions" box and set the Field Permissions. These fields are the only fields that can be synched with K-12 Online.
If there are additional fields in the Student and Contact tables that your district would like to sync, but are not currently available in K-12 Online's system forms, "Additional Information" can be added to these system forms that will be able to sync that information.
- The school codes in Aeries need to be configured to the school numbers in K-12 Online. In Aeries, the school codes can be obtained by going to School Info > School Options.
2. Assign the school codes to the schools in K-12 Online by going to the
DCP > Schools > School Manager
Setting up Aeries Fields for Student & Contact Forms
Only fields that are available in the Aeries API that can be updated and inserted can be synced between Aeries and K-12 Online. The list can be viewed under the "Field permissions" in Aeries' API Security. If the field is available for syncing and you would like to add that to either the Student or Emergency Contact Forms, you can add it by going to
DCP > Settings > System > SIS Settings > Extensions.
- To add an API extension, you will need to know the correct SIS API Field. Unfortunately, some of the field names listed under the permissions are the exact field name that is used in the API and will not sync if the API SIS fieldname is not used. To obtain the correct field name, you will need to go to: https://support.aeries.com/support/solutions/articles/14000113683-aeries-api-student-related-end-points#Student-Information and find the correct field name. (Most of time, it is the name of the permission field, but there are exceptions!)
- In the Add / Edit Extension page of K-12 Online, select the following:
- Student or Contact Module: This will appear as additional information on either the student or contact system form. This will also direct the API to link the field to the Student (STU) or Contact (CON) table.
- If Contact is selected, you will be able to select whether this question pertains to the Primary Contacts (Mother, Father, Guardian) or Emergency Contacts (All others) or both.
- Field label: This is the question that will appear in the K-12 Online parent portal.
- SIS Field: This is the field name that the API will sync. From the above image, use the field names that appear in the "Name" column such as UserCode1 etc.
- Check the box "Is Mandatory" if you would want to make this question mandatory for the parents to complete. Parents will not be able to complete registration if this question is mandatory and has not been completed.
- Determine what the field type of the question is going to be. Like the forms manager, if you choose a Selectbox or Radio button option, the Option value should correspond to the value that you want pushed via the API and should correspond to the Aeries database's values. (This is also the value that will show up on the reports.) The value can be obtained in Aeries under School Info > Configurations > Update Code Table.
- The Option label is what is going to be seen in the parent portal.
- Additional information for students will appear in the parent portal as shown below:
- Additional information for contacts will appear in the parent portal as shown below: